I am currently sitting in Schiphol Airport Amsterdam waiting on a connecting flight back home to Edinburgh after my original flight was cancelled. Add that to the covid issues with travel and it is safe to say that the last 6 months have been a challenge but it has been completely worth it.
My main objectives for the course were wanting to improve as a coach and to learn from Finland and other foreign nationals on the course about how we can build a better structure for futsal in Scotland. For me Finland is the perfect example of what can be achieved with time, effort and passion from those driving it but also with additional support from the Finnish FA. This was highlighted by their performance at the Euros but once you are there you realise that it goes well beyond that with the work they are doing with their leagues, clubs, youth structure and of course coach education.
The course was headed by the vastly experienced Finland national coach Mico Martic supported by Dusan Matic, Kerkko and Matti. A group that now have vast experience in successfully delivering this course in Finland.
The course learning objectives were to:
- develop the team´s performance in different phases of the game and in accordance with
the technical/tactical principles of futsal
- develop individual qualities of players in different phases of the game
- develop individual physical qualities of players in accordance with the principles of
strength, speed and endurance training
- understand the meaning of holistic life management for the development of an athlete
- recognize the meaning of interaction skills and the effects of different coaching styles on
the holistic development of the players and the team
- develop the cooperation of the team by leading the team
- guide the players to take responsibility for their own development
- plan and implement holistic training processes on annual, periodic, weekly and training
session level, taking into consideration the starting levels of the players and the team
- analyse the fruition of the plans and based on the analysis, develop the training processes
- understand and follow futsal laws of the game
As you can see there was a lot to cover and take in and being honest many areas were new to me and took me outside my comfort zone. Every day was a learning day with the educators and from constant dialogue and observations with the other candidates.
I am most definitely coming back a better coach that will help develop better players and coaches within our structure. Player Development will always be at the centre of everything we do but with the creation of the first team last year we also have objectives for developing the structure of the team and ambitions of what we want to achieve.
What I have realised is that I cannot do it all myself. We have a fantastic group of people within our club but it would be great to have others involved. This year are objectives are:
- Player development
- Creating a female futsal pathway
- Developing all our coaches
- Creating futsal teams in schools
- Working with others to help develop futsal as a sport
It’s an exciting time to be part of Futsal Escocia. Come and join us on the journey!!!
A special thanks to the educators and all the candidates on the the course. There’s no better way of developing yourself than being with an inspiring group of individuals. Keep in touch and I hope to see you all again soon.